A bohemian wedding dress, also known as a “boho” wedding dress, is a dress that is characterised by its relaxed, non-traditional, and often whimsical style.
Boho wedding dresses are known for their lightweight and flowing fabrics, such as chiffon, lace, and organza. These dresses are often adorned with intricate detailing, including beading, embroidery, and crocheted accents. They are typically chosen by brides who want a relaxed and effortless look for their wedding and who want a dress that reflects their personal style and individuality.
Boho wedding dresses are often associated with a relaxed, outdoor, or destination wedding, and can be paired with other bohemian-inspired elements such as floral crowns, loose waves, and minimal jewellery.
This is because the term “bohemian” refers to a cultural and artistic movement that originated in France in the mid-19th century and spread to other parts of Europe and the United States. It was characterised by a rejection of traditional values and a focus on creativity, self-expression, and individuality.
What does bohemian mean?
The term “bohemian” is derived from the French word “bohémien,” which means “gypsy.” In the 19th century, the term was used to describe the unconventional lifestyle and artistic pursuits of a group of artists, writers, and intellectuals who lived and worked in the bohemian neighbourhoods of Paris.
Today, the term “bohemian” is often used to describe a person who is unconventional, artistic, and free-spirited. It is also used to describe a style of dress and design that is relaxed, non-traditional, and inspired by different cultural influences. In fashion, bohemian style is often characterised by loose, flowing fabrics, bold patterns, and natural materials. It is also associated with a laid-back, casual, and carefree aesthetic.
Boho wedding dress designers and labels you should know
There are many well-known brands, designers, and labels that offer bohemian-style wedding dresses. Here are a few examples:
- Boho by Francesca Miranda: This brand is known for its romantic, bohemian-inspired wedding dresses that feature intricate detailing and flowing fabrics.
- Free People: This popular fashion brand offers a range of bohemian-style wedding dresses that are perfect for the laid-back, free-spirited bride.
- Grace Loves Lace: This Australian brand is known for its bohemian-inspired wedding dresses that are made from high-quality laces and other natural fabrics.
- Houghton Bride: This luxury fashion brand offers a range of bohemian-inspired wedding dresses that are perfect for the modern, chic bride.
- Watters: This popular wedding dress brand offers a range of bohemian-inspired dresses that are perfect for the relaxed, outdoor bride.
- Willowby by Watters: This bohemian-inspired wedding dress line is known for its romantic, free-spirited styles and high-quality fabrics.
- Zuhair Murad: This luxury fashion designer is known for his bohemian-inspired wedding dresses that feature intricate beading, embroidery, and lace detailing.
- Lillian West: This brand is known for its romantic, boho-inspired dresses that feature flowing fabrics, intricate detailing, and a relaxed, effortless vibe.
Celebrities who have worn a bohemian-style wedding dress
There have been a number of celebrities who have chosen to wear bohemian-style wedding dresses for their nuptials. Some examples include:
- Actress Sienna Miller, who wore a lace, boho-inspired dress for her wedding to actor Tom Sturridge in 2011.
- Actress and singer Zooey Deschanel, who wore a vintage-inspired, lace boho dress for her wedding to actor Jacob Pechenik in 2015.
- Actress and model Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, who wore a custom, bohemian-inspired wedding dress designed by Oscar de la Renta for her wedding to actor Jason Statham in 2016.
- Actress and singer Lea Michele, who wore a boho-inspired, lace wedding dress for her wedding to businessman Zandy Reich in 2019.
- Actress and model Emily Ratajkowski, who wore a custom, bohemian-inspired wedding dress designed by London-based designer, Zuhair Murad, for her wedding to actor and producer Sebastian Bear-McClard in 2018.
Off-the-rack or couture?
Ready-to-wear boho wedding dresses are mass-produced and sold at a variety of retail stores, such as bridal stores, department stores, and online retailers. These dresses are typically less expensive than couture dresses and are available in a range of sizes, making them a good option for brides who are working with a tight budget or who need a dress quickly.
Couture boho wedding dresses are made-to-order and custom-fit to the bride’s measurements. These dresses are typically more expensive than off-the-rack dresses and are often made with high-quality fabrics and intricate detailing. Couture boho wedding dresses are often designed by well-known fashion designers or couture houses and are made in limited quantities, making them a more exclusive and luxurious option for brides.
It is important to note that off-the-rack wedding gowns may require alterations to achieve the best fit. This is because ready-to-wear dresses are designed to fit a range of body types.
For example, even if a dress fits in the bust, waist and hips, it may still need alterations to fit properly if your body proportions are different from the standard proportions used by the designer.
Related reading: ‘Off-the-rack vs couture: what’s the difference?’
Is a boho wedding dress right for me?
If you’re a bride looking for a dress that exudes effortless charm and reflects your personal style, a bohemian wedding dress might be the perfect fit. These dresses are known for their lightweight, flowing fabrics such as chiffon, lace, and organza, and often feature intricate detailing like beading, embroidery, and crocheted accents. Whether you’re planning a laid-back outdoor celebration or a more formal affair, a boho wedding dress can add a touch of whimsy and personality to your big day.
About Emerald Bridal
We hope you found this guide helpful.
Emerald Bridal specialises in off-the-rack (ready-to-wear) wedding dresses that offer a careful balance between style, affordability, and quality. Our focus is on helping brides find their dream dress so that they look and feel comfortable and beautiful on their big day.
Come visit our Sydney showroom for a personalised fitting.